RARA-AVIS: Re:Hit Parade

From: Rob Kantner ( rob@9sg.com)
Date: 28 Apr 2008

Block has always been a moving target for me, but one thing I'm convinced of is, he stays rigorously true to whatever vision he has for a work, even though that vision may not work for everyone. I've read Hit Parade and I'm reading Hit List now. I find the former more satisfying than the latter, so far. I think it's Block having fun with acid tongue in cheek; if you read them for realism you ain't gonna come away happy. For me these are confections / diversions with some damn impressive twists and turns built in -- for me, pleasant mini-vacations from the historical works to which most of my discretionary reading time is devoted.