RARA-AVIS: Hit Parade

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Apr 2008

A couple of days ago I picked up a used copy of Block's _Hit Parade_, the third collection of Keller adventures. The effect of this book was disturbing: I could not possibly believe in Keller _nor_ could I be sure that this series of shaggy dog stories was meant to be understood as shaggydoggy. The style suggests the latter, but not completely. In sum, an impeccably written book that never came into focus. The insistence on the theme of stamp collecting ended up annoying me, but that is a minor matter. In the end, I felt like writing a Keller story with real people in it. I even thought of a couple of things to do to Dot, Keller's patient and amiable partner (a total cipher, like Keller), just to rattle her.

What do people think?

Best,

mrt