Re: RARA-AVIS: Rara Avis top 50 Crime Fiction Writers

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> > 3) Charles Willeford 317
>
> > 16) John D. Macdonald 120
>
> Willeford seems to be steadily gaining favor on the list, while JDM is
> falling out.

Curiously, Willeford has become a lot better known since his death. I would say that the opposite happened to John D., even though he remains in print and presumably continues to have readers. It's hard to compare those two. Willeford was a true original, whereas John D. was more of a composite of crime-writing traditions. Fortunately, we can read both. John D. at his best is very engaging -- and at his worst, he is merely humid.

Best,

mrt