RARA-AVIS: Re: The Laughing Policeman

From: caroli1975 ( karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 25 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

> I watched The Laughing Policeman with the usually avuncular Walter
> Matthau playing an obsessed detective and Bruce Dern as his parter
> last night.

Oh, that's interesting! I didn't realize there was an American film of that; it sounds great. I haven't read the whole series but I enjoyed TLP a lot. A really interesting ensemble and a very dry underlying wit, as I recall. The social commentary/criminal psychology circa 1968 is, of course, very dated -- in both good and bad ways -- and one of the things I liked about the book is that you can really see the writers wrestling (particularly in the wake of the Texas belltower murders a few years earlier) with the Golden Age
'rule' that the murderer can't be a maniac but has to be a rational person with a motive. Nowadays, when books and movies about serial killers or deranged shooters are a dime a dozen, it's sobering to realize this was once a fairly new idea.

-Carrie