Re: RARA-AVIS: The Laughing Policeman

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 24 Apr 2008

----- Start Original Message ----- Sent: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:33:43 -0400 From: "Nathan Cain" < IndieCrime@gmail.com> To: rara-avis-l < rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com> Subject: RARA-AVIS: The Laughing Policeman

> I watched The Laughing Policeman with the usually avuncular Walter
> Matthau playing an obsessed detective and Bruce Dern as his parter
> last night. It was an interesting film, even if the plot seemed kind
> of thin. I was impressed with the way it portrayed San Francisco. It
> was a very gritty portrayal, with the extras seeming like real people
> as opposed to actors pretending to be real people. There was a scene
> in a gay bar that would probably raise some eyebrows even today. The
> city depiction of the city seemed seedier and more believable than it
> does in say, Dirty Harry or Bullitt. I also liked the naturalistic way
> they handled the filming. People speak over each other, as they would
> in real life, and the soundtrack is minimal. Most of the noise is real
> background noise. I know the movie is based on a novel by a husband
> and wife team of Swedish authors who did a ten book series about
> Swedish detectives. I know TLP won an Edgar, and I wonder if it is any
> good, or if any other books in the series are worth reading?

Great book, I've read Roseanna too (the first in the series), also good.

Jordan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: