RARA-AVIS: Re: list from over-the-pond Times

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 23 Apr 2008

'm23to53' wrote

             Whatever one thinks of Christie, there must be something for all her
 books to continually be in print. There must be quite a few authors
 who wish they had whatever she had. Perhaps its the lack of graphic
 sex, violence and language that make us here like her so much.

I was thinking about this while reading one of Earle Stanley Gardner's books. Why is Christie constantly in print while, say, Gardner's Perry Mason books, which I am sure would appeal to the same reader base, are not? I suspect that there are people managing Christie's estate while this is probably not true of Gardners ( or some other authors of a similar ilk) There have been recent Christie TV productions in the UK (and a series of comic books that I know of) all of which keeps Christie's work in the public eye. I don't believe it's the quality of the work.Why not a new and updated Perry Mason TV series? Not that I'm exactly hanging out for it, I speak rhetorically.

--------------------------------- Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.