RARA-AVIS: Re: Poodle Springs, my take

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Jack Bludis <buildsnburns@...> wrote:

> I thought that Parker, like James Caan, portrayed Phillip Marlowe as
an aging shadow of the character. But it the first 50 pages were Chandler's, it's probably the way he had set it up. It may be more a portrait of Chandler than of Marlowe.

> Jack

It has been a long time since I read Poodle Springs and Perchance to Dream, but at the time I thought Parker did a creditable job. However, like John Lau, I have no clear memory of what happens in these novels. They seem to have left no mark. I think I still have Poodle Springs... I should probably take another look.

Best,

mrt