RARA-AVIS: Re: RARA AVIS should do a list!

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 18 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Gonzalo Baeza" <gbaeza@...> wrote:

> I'd add Dan Marlowe and Harry Whittington there. How about Dennis
> Lehane?
>
> I like Jason Starr but have only read his latest novel. Is he good
> enough to be ranked with the classics?

I think so. What's strange is that I had that feeling after reading his first book.

> Since Manuel Vᳱuez Montalbᮠwas included in the original list, I'd
> also add another great Spanish crime fiction author: Francisco
> Gonzᬥz Ledesma.

The late Vằuez Montalbᮠwrote a great series with Pepe Carvalho and his sidekick Biscuter, but I don't know if he would make the top 25. I already had to leave Manchette and Charles Williams out, and several stars from the pulp era... it was painful. Also I didn't include Kent Harrington because his output so far has been small, but then I did include Nathanael West because he wrote two classic masterpieces. This is not entirely rational, of course, because Harrington also has written masterpieces. About Fernᮤez Ledesma, he's good but I wouldn't rank him in the same class as Montalbᮮ I should probably have included Manuel de Pedrolo, but he is too little known even in Spain (outside of Catalunya) and totally unkown in English, as far as I know. And crime fiction is only a relatively small part of his enormous output.

Best,

mrt