RARA-AVIS: Re: Recent finds on opposite sides of the continent

From: blumenidiot ( blumenidiot@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

> Harry wrote:
>
> > I also came across SONS OF SAM SPADE: THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL IN
THE 70s
> > by David Geherin. Anyone familiar with this study?
>

> Interesting, but outdated. Of the three authors Geherin focused on -
-
> Robert B. Parker, Roger L. Simon, Andrew Bergman -- only Parker's
> continued to thrive and played a major role in the genre, although
> both Simon ad Bergman continue to kick into the pot now and then,
and
> have done some excellent and noteworthy work.
>
> This might have been one of the first times anyone took a deeper,
more
> serious look at Parker's work, and its impact on the genre. It
would
> be interesting to see Geherin do an update, considering all that's
> happened to the P.I. genre, post-Spenser.
>
> And let's face it, there may be better or more popular authors out
> there, but nobody has influenced the P.I. genre -- for better or
worse
> -- more in the last few decades -- for better or worse -- than
Parker.

I read some Simon novels after Simon's THE BIG FIX, but I stopped seeing his books. I thought BERGMAN's HOLLYWOOD AND LEVINE very entertaining , but I thought its sequel, THE BIG KISSOFF OF only soso. I recently bought the third in the series, TENDER IS LEVINE, and am in the middle of it. So far, it feels like a Kaminsky Toby Peters book without the annoying regular characters. Of course. Bergman found greater success as a screenwriter of such films as Blazing Sadles and a director.

We've discussed Parker in the past so anyone interessted in my and others' opinion of the Spenser series could find it. I think most felt the books seriously declined by about the sixth in the series. Some kept reading them. I didn't. Mark