Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Recent finds on opposite sides of the continent

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 12 Apr 2008

Dave wrote:

"Personally I'd have to think Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder has had the most influence on the genre--causing a small flood of PIs who are recovering alcoholics/drug abusers."

Although Block certainly popularized it for his generation (and went into far more depth about drying out and working the program), there were precedents: Mitch Tobin by Tucker Coe (Westlake) and Curt Cannon
(originally some other name, but I forget it) by Curt Cannon (McBain), for two.

Mark