RARA-AVIS: Re: Recent finds on opposite sides of the continent

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 12 Apr 2008

Harry wrote:

> I also came across SONS OF SAM SPADE: THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL IN THE 70s
> by David Geherin. Anyone familiar with this study?

Interesting, but outdated. Of the three authors Geherin focused on -- Robert B. Parker, Roger L. Simon, Andrew Bergman -- only Parker's continued to thrive and played a major role in the genre, although both Simon ad Bergman continue to kick into the pot now and then, and have done some excellent and noteworthy work.

This might have been one of the first times anyone took a deeper, more serious look at Parker's work, and its impact on the genre. It would be interesting to see Geherin do an update, considering all that's happened to the P.I. genre, post-Spenser.

And let's face it, there may be better or more popular authors out there, but nobody has influenced the P.I. genre -- for better or worse
-- more in the last few decades -- for better or worse -- than Parker.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site Celebrating 10 Years of P.I. Thrills