Re: RARA-AVIS: Changing standards for masculinity (behavioral, not just muscle)

From: funkmasterj@runbox.com
Date: 11 Apr 2008

----- Start Original Message ----- Sent: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 11:55:32 -0700 (PDT) From: Patrick King < abrasax93@yahoo.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: Changing standards for masculinity (behavioral, not just muscle)

> --- jacquesdebierue < jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > How about the "behavioral" changes in masculinity,
> > say, among the PIs
> > and other heroes of hardboiled land? Me, I think
> > Ross Macdonald gave
> > the kiss of death to the macho warrior, at least in
> > the PI subgenre.
> >
> > Have we come a long way from Three Gun Terry,
> > Cardigan and Mike
> > Hammer? I somehow doubt that those types of
> > operatives would go over
> > well today.
> >
> > Overall, I think crime writing has gotten much more
> > realistic, in a
> > sense, it is much better today - not to deny the
> > attractions of the
> > older, pulp-style heroes, of which I'm a great fan
> > and will always
> > remain so.
> Speaking of realism and behavioral changes, in a
> conversation about James Bond recently, it was pointed
> out to me that in espionage, bi-sexuality is a
> requirement. both Mata Hari and T.E. Lawrence had this
> ability. While we see reference or implication in the
> work of Graham Green, John LeCarre, and Frederick
> Forsyth, it is seldom referred to directly in books
> about spies.

I'm slow getting around to reading my emails but:

Someone I know who worked in intelligence told me a while back that James Bond was a bit of a satire since it was well known that British intelligence was well known to have a homosexual bent. Ironically, the one author who I've read who did write spy novels where homosexuality is directly referenced is John Gardner, who later wrote many James Bond books. He wrote 3 Railton Family novels: Secret Generations, The Secret Houses, and The Secret Families. These novels directly address this.

Jordan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: