RARA-AVIS: Recent finds on opposite sides of the continent

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 11 Apr 2008

Hello All,

On recent business trips to Quebec City and Vancouver I, of course, made the time to check out a few secind-hand bookshops and came across a few interesting items.

In Quebec City I found an omnibus of three Jim Thompson novels called HARD CORE (which includes THE KILL OFF, THE NOTHING MAN and BAD BOY. Are these novels indicative of Thonpson at the top of his game?

In Vancouver I picked up some Brock Callahan volumes (COME DIE WITH ME, DAY OF THE RAM and THE DEAD SEED). How do these particular outtings rank within Gault's body of work? The only Callahan I've read so far is COUNTY KILL, which was fairly reminiscent of Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer books.

I also came across SONS OF SAM SPADE: THE PRIVATE EYE NOVEL IN THE 70s by David Geherin. Anyone familiar with this study?

Best, Harry