RARA-AVIS: James Atlee Phillips

From: Bill Crider ( macavityabc@gmail.com)
Date: 09 Apr 2008

Don't forget THE DEADLY MERMAID, which is the first appearance of Joe Gall, albeit in a third-person adventure. Phillips "straight" novel, THE NAKED YEAR, was once named one of the "50 Best Books about Texas." It's worth a read just for one particular scene.

There was a great interview with Phillips in an issue of ESPIONAGE some years ago. I don't know if I can locate my copy, however.

David Atlee Phillps also wrote a couple of novels, including one called THE CARLOS CONTRACT. He did some nonfiction, too.

Bill Crider