RARA-AVIS: Re: James Atlee Phillips

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 09 Apr 2008

Considering the deep pockets of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, there is no way they would have allowed another magazine to appear with a name so close to their keystone publication of Nation's Business. I had a friend who worked on the mag and myself back in the 1980s used to escort luminaries to their lavish offices to appear on their television programs.

You probably don't need me to tell you this but in addition to the fascinating novels written by James Atlee Phillips under the name Phillip Atlee, I wholeheartedly recommend his 1949 novel SUITABLE FOR FRAMING published by Macmillan. My goodness, the opening scene with the Mexican wrestler in the arena is worth whatever price you pay for the novel! Anyone on this list who has not read this novel is missing a real treat.

I also like his earlier novel THE CASE OF THE SHIVERING CHORUS GIRLS
(1942)but caution that it is more in the vein of Nero Wolf than hardboiled.

Finally, James Atlee Phillips belongs in my personal hall of fame for having written the screenplay to that wonderful drive-in favorite "Thunder Road" starring Robert Mitchum.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <valdin@...> wrote:

> Richard Moore wrote:
> <<
> > Two thoughts on finding that story. There is a magazine
> > called "Nation's Business" that is published by the U.S. Chamber
of
> > Commerce. It didn't publish fiction when I used to see copies in
the
> > 1980s but that doesn't mean it didn't in the early 1950s. The
U.S.
> > Chamber is a huge operation in Washington, DC and I would be
> > surprised if they didn't have a complete run of the magazine.
> >
> > Secondly, this is a real long shot but James Atlee Phillips' son
> > Shawn Phillips was living in Austin, Texas the last I heard.
Shawn
> > achieved some renown as a musician and is still rocking at the
age of
> > 65 according to the website www.shawnphillips.com
> >
> > Richard Moore
> >>

> Thanks for your reply, Richard.
>
> My connection to James Atlee Phillips actually began with his son
Shawn. My interest in Shawn Phillips lead me into reading the Joe Gall series that James Atlee Phillips penned under the name Philip Atlee.

> I'm enjoying the series and now I'm looking for other James Atlee
Phillips stories. Hence my interest in The Big Rig.

> I googled "The Nation's Business" and found "Nation's Business"
mag, by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. I didn't figure they were the same...but now I think I'll pursue that line.