RARA-AVIS: Re: James Atlee Phillips

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 08 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <valdin@...> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I found this group when I googled James Atlee Phillips. Evidently,
you folks had a thread running on him, oh, about...7 years ago!

> Is there anyone out there who still knows anythiing about him?
>
> In particular, I'm trying to find a copy of his oilfield story,
called THE BIG RIG, which was published in The Nation's Business, in February, 1953.

> I know this is a long shot, but I'm giving it a try anyway. Can
anyone help me with this? Any suggestions or leads?

> Thanks much,
>
> Leonard Hough
> Austin, Texas

Two thoughts on finding that story. There is a magazine called "Nation's Business" that is published by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. It didn't publish fiction when I used to see copies in the 1980s but that doesn't mean it didn't in the early 1950s. The U.S. Chamber is a huge operation in Washington, DC and I would be surprised if they didn't have a complete run of the magazine.

Secondly, this is a real long shot but James Atlee Phillips' son Shawn Phillips was living in Austin, Texas the last I heard. Shawn achieved some renown as a musician and is still rocking at the age of 65 according to the website www.shawnphillips.com

Richard Moore