RARA-AVIS: Re:Dick Powell

From: Shannon Clute ( clute@noircast.net)
Date: 27 Mar 2008

  Jim Doherty wrote:

You want to get an idea how Grant might have pulled
  off Marlowe (and of all the actors who played him, I
  think Powell is the closest to a Grant-as-Marlowe
  portrayal), see him as the FBI agent with the yen for
  undercover gal Ingrid Bergman in Hitchcock's
  NOTORIOUS.

I agree with you on this Jim. Grant has a brutal edge in NOTORIOUS that would have conveyed Marlowe's internal suffering very well.

But for me, one actor embodies that edge better than anyone--Robert Ryan. It kills me he never got a shot at playing Marlowe.

Shannon Clute www.noircast.net