Re: RARA-AVIS: Real guys don't worry a whole lot about if they're real guys or n

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Mar 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elkin <rictusaporia@...> wrote:

> Not being ironic, just using the term as it's meant--the
behaviours/features a society considers "masculine," usually imported from the past but often created wholesale, create "masculinity." Those male features you're born with, of course, create your "sex." And how you perform your "self" (or "selves") is your "gender" (where the other two meet--feminine &/or masculine)
> (NB:I don't think we're in disagreement except in terminology.)

Unfortunately, any analysis of such roles (essentially, manufactured gender, including modern unisex) must be local. Sometimes you can't even extrapolate from one province to a neighboring one... It is very slippery territory even when handled objectively. If it is used to tell people how to live, forget it, it probably has no credibility.

Best,

mrt