Re: RARA-AVIS: Real guys don't worry a whole lot about if they're real guys or n

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Mar 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Robert Elkin <rictusaporia@...> wrote:

> Ah, "masculinity," just like "femininity" is always a social
construct anyway. Mostly arbitrary stuff.

I take it you're being ironic. A person's sex is the most important differentiating characteristic. The biological world is sexed, very strongly so. Perhaps you're thinking of "roles", in the modern and even postmodern sense? If so, playacting has no limitations, of course, or at least a much wider latitude. If you start from what historically is only a few miliseconds ago, you're unlikely to arrive at anything substantial. Think of the history of humans... we're been around for a long time.

But it looks like we're veering away from literary portrayals, which are our thing.

Best,

mrt