RARA-AVIS: Changing standards for muscularity

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 26 Mar 2008

Mark R:

"I remember that scene and see what you're getting at, but let us remember that the standards for muscularity have changed appreciably over the years. Even the fitter Hollywood stars of that era look mostly unimpressive with their shirts off, as compared to the gym-buffed actors and male models of today."

Yes, you're right and I was exaggerating of course, but still I don't think Dick Powell was very impressive even by the standards of the time. (Am trying to remember a movie with Bogart with his shirt off, but can't recall any. Is there?)

Juri