RARA-AVIS: Re: Harry Bosch thru other's eyes

From: michaelconnelly187 ( michaelconnelly187@yahoo.com)
Date: 25 Mar 2008

I agree with you and that is certainly an option I have with Harry Bosch. I have planted many seeds about Harry in Vietnam, about Harry as a street cop during the Patty Hearst and SLA period, etc. I have gathered string on these times and events. I've done the research so that I could write the book. Its just a matter of getting to them. But having said all of that, I think the idea of writing in read time is such a gift. It gives me the power to reflect on what is happening in Los Angeles or our society at large almost as it is happening. I remember that my book City of Bones was published 7 months after 9/11 and it had many references to it and its impact on the other side of the country and on the country as a whole. To me it made the book more than a mystery and an entertainment. It made it a little tiny mirror reflecting a little bit about what was going on in the world. And that is one of the reasons I have never stopped the forward progression of the series to go back in time. As I said in one of the other answers, the forward progression will hit its limits shortly and then there will be time to go back.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "cptpipes2000" <cptpipes@...> wrote:

> John Lau said:
> > in The Black Ice however, you peg Bosch's year of birth as 1950, making him
> > 58 this year. I don't know if LAPD has mandatory retirement at a certain age.
> > you've had Bosch retire from the police force and continue his personal
> > mission once already
> >
> > so I guess what my question is, do you now have an actual end of the series
> > in mind? and if so, are you working toward that end?
>
> I am a fan of series books. It is the reader's favorite dream: a story that never ends.
>
> That said, there is beauty in a cycle that has a specific destination and reaches it. The
Lew