RARA-AVIS: Dick Powell

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 25 Mar 2008

Dick Powell is very good in MURDER, MY SWEET and is shabby in the right way, but there's a scene in which he has only his undershirt on (and his slacks, too) and a dame comes in and starts to tell Powell/Marlowe how great looking he is, strong and all that. And Powell really has this quite big belly and rather thin arms! Even I have more muscles than Dick Powell. It's a scene that I'd cut away from the movie or build Powell some muscles with digital effects.

As for Cary Grant, I've been thinking about that for almost 20 years. (I read Chandler's letters while still 17 or 18.) It's a pretty hard image, but I think Grant could've pulled it off. He just couldn't have been so suave as he usually was. Hey, James Stewart is a pretty tough noir guy in Anthony Mann's westerns, and look at him in Capra's films.

Juri