RARA-AVIS: Bogie

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 24 Mar 2008

Patrick wrote:

> I don't get that from the book. Spade is a tough, no
> bullshit guy who drinks wiskey and uses women when
> one's available. Hammett describes him physically on
> the first page and he could be describing Bogart.

Yeah, Bogart the notorious blonde Satan.

Are you sure you've read the first page? It sounds more like a description of a young but seriously pissed off (and blonde) Tony Randall to me, with all those Vs.

Not to say Bogart did a bad job in The Falcon -- he didn't -- or that Cortez is a dead ringer -- he's not -- but Bogart's certainly not the person that comes to mind when you read the book -- unless you already know of the movie. Bogart's face is more jowly and droopy than anything Hammett describes...

I like Bogie as much as the next yegg but here's more heresy -- I prefer Dick Powell's Marlowe. I thought Bogie's Marlowe was just reheated Spade, with more wisecracks.

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site 10 Years of P.I. Thrills: April 1, 2008 Come for the party -- stay for the imaginary chicken wings and cyber beer.