Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: ECHO PARK Spoiler alert!

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 22 Mar 2008

In a message dated 3/22/08 10:51:49 AM, abrasax93@yahoo.com writes:

> I'd like to know how Garland actually came to kill
> Marie Gesto. As far as we know, Garland, though
> certainly deeply disturbed, is not a serial murderer.
> We assume, along with Harry, that he murdered Gesto
> because of her resemblance to the girl who moved to
> Texas, but we don't really know. The only story we
> have about Marie's death we got from Waits and we do
> know that for the most part its fabricated. It
> troubles me that Garland, who was so unflappable on
> the subject for 13 years, completely loses it in Echo
> Park and murders Pratt, even though his father told
> him not to. Not that it's unrealistic. Certainly minds
> that resort to murder can behave very irrationally
> after long calculating periods. Under the circumstance
> I didn't see that Pratt's demand for more money would
> have acted as such a powerful stresser on Anthony.
> Part of Anthony's motive has got to be not only to
> embarrass his father, but to involve him in his
> crimes.
>
> Tho other thing about T. Rex Garland is what happens
> to him? We're left thinking that he's going to prison.
> But from what we know about the history of LA crime &
> punishment, people like T. Rex tend to get off scott
> free. The recent case of Phil Spector comes to mind.
> This guy shot a girl after a lifetime habit of
> bringing women home and threatening them with guns.
> But the jury was hung and they're not going to try him
> again. WHAT? Conclusion: If you have enough money you
> can kill people in Los Angeles. So as far as I can see
> T. Rex didn't kill anyone. He's at best guilty of
> conspiracy after the fact. A good lawyer can probably
> get most of the evidence thrown out as inadmissable
> due to the way it was collected. There was nothing
> illegal about the campaign contributions. Maybe all
> this is addressed in a future book I haven't read yet.
> If so, rest assured I will read it.
>
> My last comment is about Rachel Walling. What is the
> matter with this woman? She fights side by side with
> this guy. Did he put her life in danger? Not once. He
> faced the danger himself, calculated the odds
> correctly and solved the problem. And this in her
> opinion makes him a loose cannon and she doesn't want
> to live with him. This from an FBI agent who
> completely ignores all the rules imposed upon her when
> she sees an opportunity to bring a bad guy to justice.
> That she walks out on Harry makes a good story, but
> her reasons don't ring true. My sense is she has
> emotional problems around intimacy and if Harry plays
> it cool, she'll come crawling back. Where else is she
> going to find a guy like that?
>
> I greatly enjoyed my introduction to Harry Bosch.

I'd feel compelled to pull out my copy and come up with answers to all these questions if there wasn't somebody here so much better qualified to field them than I

John Lau

************** Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home.

( http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)