RARA-AVIS: Re: Harry Bosch thru other's eyes

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 21 Mar 2008

John Lau said:
> in The Black Ice however, you peg Bosch's year of birth as 1950, making him
> 58 this year. I don't know if LAPD has mandatory retirement at a certain age.
> you've had Bosch retire from the police force and continue his personal
> mission once already
>
> so I guess what my question is, do you now have an actual end of the series
> in mind? and if so, are you working toward that end?

I am a fan of series books. It is the reader's favorite dream: a story that never ends.

That said, there is beauty in a cycle that has a specific destination and reaches it. The Lew Griffin series is my favorite example.

I wish more series authors would do like Block did with WHEN THE SACRED GINMILL CLOSES and tell a story about a series character that took place earlier. Pelecanos (among others) has made me a bit of a fetishist for books set in a specific year. Instead of setting their stories in the generic present, I wish more authors would tell go back to earlier years with their characters.

I just remembered: Reed Farrell Coleman has done this so far with his Moe Prager series.