RARA-AVIS: Re: Harry Bosch thru other's eyes

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 19 Mar 2008

John Lau said:

> you've also said in the past that you teamed Bosch with Terry
> McCaleb and later with Rachel Walling to see the detective from a
> different perspective, in your ongoing effort to keep your series
> character fresh.

This was one of my favorite aspects of A DARKNESS MORE THAN NIGHT.

I started reading this series when I was fairly young (18) and mostly unfamiliar with hardboiled writers. I approached The Concrete Blonde with the same mindset as the legal thrillers I was also reading. Bosch really jumped out as different from what I was used to both for his attributes and his flaws-including being a pain in the ass at times. Anyone on this list is so used to rolling in the gutter with many of our favorite characters that it is easy to forget how striking they can be someone weaned on a different style of book.

By the time I got to A DARKNESS MORE THAN NIGHT, I felt familiar enough with Bosch that I didn't notice the distinguishing characteristics as much and it was jarring to see Bosch through the eyes of Terry McCaleb. This made for an excellent changeup in the series.

I want to conclude by thanking Michael Connelly for joining us for this month. It is a real honor and treat to have you among us. I don't want to get teased by the regulars for sucking up too much, so I'll refrain from lapsing into total fanboy mode.