RARA-AVIS: Re: "Star-Stalker" by Robert Bloch

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Mar 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "hardcasecrime" <editor@...> wrote:

> E. Borgers wrote:
>
> > Does some Avians have an opinion
> > about « Star-Stalker » by Robert
> > Bloch, one of his early novels that
> > was published only in 1968.
> > It's not a typical Bloch suspense;
> > it deals with the Hollywood of the
> > end of the silent era.
> > It's not even a crime novel per
> > se, if I trust the preface.
>
> It's a very good novel, possibly Bloch's best in terms of writing
> quality and character development, but no, it's not a crime novel
> (except in the very tenuous sense that there are some things done
by
> some characters that aren't legal...but crime isn't the theme or
> focus of the book).

It was meant to be part of a trilogy, but the publisher or editor interest apparently evaporated for some reason that I don't recall at the moment...each volume was supposed to have a title along the lines of MONUMENTAL! (in the manner of film-advertising hype of the time). They weren't really meant to be crime novels, no...more straightforward contemporary mimetic fiction.

Todd Mason