Re: RARA-AVIS: North Country Noirs

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 13 Mar 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"
<jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:

> I highly recommend the work of Harold Adams, effective, succinct
> hardboiled novels. The stories take place in small towns of the
> Midwest. A wonderful writer.
>
> Best,
>
> mrt

I also recommend Harold Adams whose novels most often featured Carl Wilcox, an ex-convict turned amateur detective who in the later books collects a fee. The setting is during America's Great Depression in a small town in South Dakota where Wilcox's parents run a hotel.

Is Adams still writing and publishing? For a while there he was a "canary in the coal mine" for mystery writers as a fine writer dropped by his various publishers at the first sign of a market downturn. He would be in his eighties now, I'd guess, having met him once years ago.

A fine writer.

Richard Moore