Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler, Hammett and Fleming: Get Real

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 08 Mar 2008

Patrick responded to me:

"I do agree, but the "Please!" a the end of your comment seems to imply you think the use of this tradition undermines the statement of the film."

It's not the tradition that I was being overly snotty about, I've got no problem with it, even enjoy it, but the heavyhanded symbolism Stone so often employs. And I'll even allow that I'm probably responding more to this aspect in his later films and retroactively applying it to Platoon which, along with Salvador, is one of his few films I've seen that I did not actively dislike. I always feel he's hitting me over the head and trying to manipulate me, two of the worst artistic crimes in my book, along with pretension.

Mark