RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: A twofer by Gil Brewer from Stark House

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 08 Mar 2008

> Behalf Of Jeff Vorzimmer
> Absolutely. We should be supporting presses like Stark House, Hard Case
> Crime, Point Blank, No Exit and Gryphon by buying everything they put out.

I do wish the Gryphon releases were of a higher quality. I just picked up five releases -- four Harry Whittingtons and one SIN PIT -- and the covers looks to be done by ink- or laser-jet printer, and the text is scanned, not reset. Where original, there are some typos -- I haven't checked the other three Whittingtons, but the one I'm reading has the wrong series number on the interior (should be 22, as per the cover, not 2) and misspellings like
"...get a does of sudden death!" Not a big deal in the scheme of things, and I'm thrilled *someone's* reprinting Whittington, but for $16 a pop, I do wish the quality was better. But, as mentioned, since no one's reprinting Whittington, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

The other presses mentioned do put a very professional product, though I find Stark House's brilliant white pages with comparatively small print rather difficult to read for long stretches.

But I agree that all are worthy of our support. In fact, I just picked up the new Stark House Brewer volume, and am looking forward very much to reading it.

Ron C.