RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: Tropical Noir

From: Anders Engwall ( anders.engwall@comhem.se)
Date: 07 Mar 2008

His standalone THE SINNERS is also recommended. Sometimes I think Aarons was especially good in his books set at sea, whether the action took place outside New England (frequently) or as here, in the Caribbean.

While I'm at it, I'd also like to recommend JEWEL OF THE JAVA SEA by Dan Cushman. I guess the title says it all about the setting. Pulpy adventure entertainment.

From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of jacquesdebierue Sent: den 7 mars 2008 23:55 To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Tropical Noir

Let's not forget the work of Aarons. He covered a lot of places in his Assignment series. He's a great favorite of mine, especially for summer reading. He had a remarkable technique, though he didn't always maintain tension throughout. The last thirds of his novels are often weaker than the first two thirds.