RARA-AVIS: Re: Graham Greene / Noir?

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 07 Mar 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "caroli1975" <karabair@...> wrote:

<<I now wonder if the heavy religious overtone to these does something to take them out of the noir category. I've never thought about whether noir and religion are mutually exclusive, but off the top of my head, I can't think of a noir story with a heavy emphasis on the existence of God. (As opposed to having corrupt clergymen as characters).>>

I see no reason why the religious overtone would make it less noir. It is just one more aspect that can be brought in. I can't think of any examples among the canonically noir writers, either, but I am sure one can write a noir novel like that, and that in fact it has been written.

Best,

mrt