RARA-AVIS: Re: Tropical Noir

From: jxshannon2@aol.com
Date: 07 Mar 2008

If we're counting Graham Greene, at least half of his better known novels--all dark enough with a kind of inverted romanticism to be counted in some ways as noir--take place in the tropics--from the Mexico of The Power and the Glory, to the Haiti of The Comedians and several others in Africa. Barry Gifford did Port Tropique, and Denis Johnson The Stars at Noon, which have noir undertones. And one of my all time favorite recent stand-alone noir's is Richard Ford's The Ultimate Good Luck, dark and hard-bitten enough to be written on leather, set almost entirely in Oaxaca. John Shannon

**************It's Tax Time! Get tips, forms, and advice on AOL Money & Finance. (http://money.aol.com/tax?NCID=aolprf00030000000001)