RARA-AVIS: Re: Chandler, Hammett and Fleming: Get Real

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 06 Mar 2008

One can only speculate as to the "realism" of a story. How can a typical reader know? For example, I don't know Detroit and I am very convinced by the "realism" of Leonard's novels. I cannot compare what he writes with any personal experience of the place. The same goes for stories involving certain professions or circles. I've said it before, but the realism is psychological, and I do believe it can be created out of whole cloth by a good writer. It can also be created out of direct experience, and probably the details will then be more accurate, but will the story be necessarily better? I doubt it. Many memoirs are dull. Many travel books are dull.

Best,

mrt