RARA-AVIS: Connelly sure is a nice man

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 06 Mar 2008

I've also met Michael Connelly once (and discussed with him over the e-mail). He's a really nice man, easy to come along with, comes up with good answers for your questions, has none of the snickery you might expect from a bestseller writer. (Well, "snickery" here isn't a very good word, I couldn't come up with a better one.)

I've always liked everything I've read by Connelly, but I would rather place him with hardboiled rather than noir. Stylistically, he's not very hardboiled, though, and comes close to being a thriller writer. His plots however have a feel of a hardboiled novel, mainly Chandler (at his most serious) and Ross Macdonald. He does use serial killers, which, to my mind, have become a boring clich鬠but I can stand them in Connelly's stuff.

I thought ECHO PARK was a bit too early. The shifts between the narrators were a bit clumsy. The title of him I've liked the best is probably TRUNK MUSIC. There's a twist I sure didn't see coming. As for THE LINCOLN LAWYER, I thought it was very solid, but didn't come close to the Bosch novels. Very much a thriller, neither hardboiled nor noir.

As for his short stories, you got a free story when you joined his mailing list, but unfortunately I didn't save it. Is it among the ones someone (John Lau?) counted? And has it been published in a book?

There are also some bits of Bosch's teenager life on Connelly's website. They were left out from some of the novels. I translated one of them for the magazine of the Finnish Whodunnit Society. You can find them here:

http://www.michaelconnelly.com/Other_Words/Lost_Chapters/lost_chapters.html

Juri