RARA-AVIS: Re: The Hell with "Writing What You Know"

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 29 Feb 2008

You are right about Ross Thomas drawing on his background. On the one hand, he operated in the mixed world of public affairs and elections (for public office and for union leadership) and public relations both in the U.S. (especially Washington) and internationally. This is a world I know something about and he is quite wonderful in portraying it. Only Ward Just is his rival in having a realistic Washington as a setting. I am reasonably certain he was at times drawing "a second check" from an intelligence agency as the CIA, to name one, often utilized people with natural covers as Thomas had with his day job.

As for Woolrich, I agree that his real world experience was quite limited but he mined his internal fears and terrors very successfully. I will post more on Woolrich later today as we wrap up his month.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jacquesdebierue"