RARA-AVIS: Re: Automatic Detective

From: Ronald L Weston ( rweston3@verizon.net)
Date: 25 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> I just saw this paperback on the new release table at Borders. Judging
> by the blurbs, A Lee Martinez is a pretty big name in SF/Fantasy. The
> basic premise seems not unlike Pinocchio in that a robot wants to become
> a citizen. However, the jacket copy, and title, makes it seem like a
> hardboiled novel or pastiche or homage or parody or something. The
> voice used in the first few paragraph certainly seems to be going for a
> jaded PI tone.
>
> Anyone read it, or past works by him? Is it or he any good?
>
> Mark

I've read his three humorous fantasies (Gil's All Fright Diner, In The Company of Ogres and The Nameless Witch) within the last year. They were well-written and a pretty good read if you enjoy slapstick fantasy with a large dash of black humor. I knew he had another book due but didn't know it was the Automatic Detective.

I imagine it's in a similar vein as his others and perhaps somewhat like Glen Cook's Garrett P.I. series or John Zakour's Zachery Nixon Johnson novels about the fast freelance P.I. in the world. I'll pick up a copy of AD when I see it.

Ron Weston