Re: RARA-AVIS: 3 recent noir movies

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 25 Feb 2008

Steve:

I would say both reviews are accurate. I was surprised at how expertly made + acted 13 Tzameti was. This is a powerful movie, one that sticks with you, and about as noir as you can get. "In Bruges" was a lot of fun, very well made, and with some terrific performances (including as John Lau pointed out, a very angry one by the chameleon-like actor, Ralph Fiennes). But when you cut through the glitz there's not a lot of substance underneath. Still, though, I'd recommend it--I enjoyed it more than most of the movies I've seen over the past year--and all that glitz was very well done--and again, great dialogue--and the movie fits squarely as noir.

I apologize for dragging the group into this Belgium discussion. After seeing characters in both "In Bruges" and "Memory of a Killer" make comments how they hate Belgium, I was curious whether this was some sort of insider joke for Europeans--but I'd suggest at this point the discussion drop.

--Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Steve Novak <Cinefrog@...> wrote:

> Of course some lofty minded rara-avian is going to object to the
NYTimes and