RARA-AVIS: Re: Woody Allen's "Match Point"

From: vagrantpacific ( pacificvagrant@gmail.com)
Date: 24 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Channing" <filmtroll@...> wrote:

> I just wanted to weigh in on "Match Point" which is certainly relevant
> to discussions of noir.

I think you're exactly right. I think Allen is so adept in his understanding of noir that he's been playing with it for years. Shadows and Fog? Crimes And Missdemeanors? His source of course isn't Lady in The Lake, but Crime and Punishment. I also agree with you that
 a lot people are put off by his noir, because unlike the mid century American stuff, which is so Christian, about further establishing goodness through evil, Allen has been spending his career investigating the fallacy of goodness as a foundation and constant. This would explain his recent investigations of luck, with Matchpoint, and Cassandra's Dream. Luck has also been the first and last frontier for any deep-thinking noir fan.

Adam Haynes