RE : RARA-AVIS: Re: Woody Allen OT

From: Fabienne soldini ( fabsoldini@yahoo.fr)
Date: 24 Feb 2008

That's for the same kind of reasons that Polansky leave United-States to go to France: he was accused to have sexual relationships with a young girl. He was accused to rape her and he risked to be condammed to prison. It's an old story so there is prescription now. So, he can go to United-States since several years.

  Fabienne

jacquesdebierue < jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com> a 飲it :
          --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "blumenidiot" <blumenidiot@...> wrote:

> Mrt,
> Consider how Ingrid Bergman and Charlie Chaplin were treated because of
> their indiscretions. I think the American public recoiled from his
> action toward Mia and his marrying a girl at least half his age who had
> been associated with while playing the role of her father.

Thanks for explaining. Your reference to prudishness made me think of the content of his films, not the real life incident that you mention. You may be right. What did Ingrid Bergman doto alienate the US public? Taking up with Roberto Rossellini? As far as I know, she was and is beloved by the US public...

Which brings us back to the fifties and popular culture... Once in a while I like to look at old popular magazine collections (Time, Life, etc.) from that era in the library. A lot of the material that was published seems oddly surreal. Meanwhile our hardboiled heroes kept pounding the mean streets!

Best,

mrt