RARA-AVIS: Re: More on Halliday, &c.

From: James Reasoner ( jamesreasoner@flash.net)
Date: 24 Feb 2008

> After a bit of digging on the 'net, I discover these (for the
record)
> to be THE AVENGER (1952) and DEATH IS A LOVELY DAME (1954). I'll
add
> them to my "look for" list.

I've read THE AVENGER and liked it quite a bit. Never got around to DEATH IS A LOVELY DAME. Both are about a character named Morgan Wayne. I'm sure the name being similar to Michael Shayne was no coincidence, but despite that Wayne isn't a Shayne clone and THE AVENGER, at least, isn't a private eye novel. Good stuff anyway.

> I recently finished Vicki Hendricks' MIAMI PURITY--I believe she
also
> posts here. It was highly enjoyable to me to read a re-take on a
lot of
> the "noir" conventions re-told in a (convincing) female voice--I
found
> the novel a fascinating exercise in style that was additionally a
> really enjoyable, lean, mean, and sweaty tale.

I thought MIAMI PURITY was a wonderful book. Vioki's work has one of the best voices in the business, and one of the most distinctive, too.

By the way, I'm sorry I haven't been able to participate in the Woolrich discussion so far. I read both FRIGHT and THE BLACK ANGEL last year and really enjoyed both of them. I've read a bunch of Woolrich's short stories and liked them, but I need to delve deeper into his novels.

And just to cram one more thing in, I like Dick Francis's books and would consider the ones I've read hardboiled. But I didn't care much for the most recent one, DEAD HEAT, and thought the plot really plodded along for the most part.

James Reasoner