RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir sports...

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2008

Paul,

Re your comment below:

"HB/noir and boxing are a good fit. Eddie Muller's THE DISTANCE and the film noir THE SET-UP focus around boxing, and there's a boxing match in Hammett's RED HARVEST."

Boxing is at the heart of another great '40's noir, THE KILLERS, based on (and expanding on) Hemingway's short story.

And Hammett used boxing as the central element in his short story, "My Brother's Keeper."

But, again, I thought we were concentrating on team sports.

Which reminds me of another sports-oriented series. Kin Platt wrote several books about an operative in some hi-tech worldwide detective agency named Max Roper. Each entry in the series involved some kind of sport.

And, as long as boxing is not off-topic, has anyone mentioned Bob Randisi's series about prizefighter/PI Miles Jacoby?

JIM DOHERTY

JIM DOHERTY

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs