RARA-AVIS: Re: Perhaps a more relevant suggestion for the sports noir discussio

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 23 Feb 2008

Jacques,

Re your comment below:

"Dick Francis made a career writing hardboiled novels about horse racing. Come to think of it, I don't recall Francis ever being discussed here. It has been a long time since I last read him, but I would bet his stuff holds up well. Any fans here?"

I'm a huge Francis fan, particularly his series about jockey-turned-PI Sid Halley.

The only reason I didn't mention him is because I thought we were supposed to focus on team sports, rather than individual contests like boxing. Or horse racing.

Francis has come up a few times. Most recently on a thread having to do with authors who'd won Edgars in more than one category in the same year during Gores month.

JIM DOHERTY

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs