RARA-AVIS: Re: Phantom Lady / Bride [was: Woolrich recommendations? ]

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, William Ahearn <williamahearn@...> wrote:

> --- jean-pierre jacquet <jacquet@...> wrote:
>
> > Truffaut is the most overrated directors of the past
> > half-century.
>
> Thank you. I will give him The 400 Blows but not much
> else.

I love Truffaut's work. It is all one work, really. I like that in a writer or filmmaker. People rarely have more than one thing to write from the gut, even if they write it in pieces, or while purportedly telling other people's stories. Given that I see Truffaut's work as a continuum, I have to judge it great, just like Allen's or Bergman's work. A total auteur.

Best,

mrt