Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Perhaps a more relevant suggestion for the sports noir discussion?

From: scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 22 Feb 2008

David Peace does indeed use real people in TDU, to the point where I believe there was talk of legal action from some surviving players of the great Revie team - in fact a quick Google has just confirmed that Johhny Giles won an apology from Peace and his publishers and as a result he will not feature in the film, starring Michael Sheen (Tony Blair in The Queen) as Brian Clough - when my brother, another Leeds fan, reported this to me he told me Ol Big Ead was to be essayed by Martin Sheen, which would be interesting to say the least!

It's certainly Noir and although Giles has won his apology no-one in the book is portrayed in a favourable light - Billy Bremner is dead so cannot protect his reputation, but I can't imagine his surviving family are thrilled with what Peace makes of him. Sheen's a marvelously intense actor and I must admit I'm fascinated to see how he inhabits the skin of someone who was a household name in the UK - I'm trying to think of an American equivalent, and as the only?gridiron coach I can think of is Vince Lombardi I'd take him; Brian?Clough would be the name that would come up if you?had asked anyone, before these saturation coverage days,?with no interest?in football to name a football manager. ?

It's a dangerous game this imagined history, I had?real?problems with?Jake Arnott's The Long Firm for its treatment of real historical characters. Then again, I have no?problem with Ellroy doing the same because I am much less familiar with the?American history he rewrites.??

By the by, The Damned United is one of my favourite ever book covers, it's fantastically unsettling with the very simple device of blacking out eyes.

I do think Leeds are the Damned United sometimes - we're currently paying for our sins! But would recommend The Unforgiven (another noir title! God, what a club) for anyone interested in the actual history of?Revie's Leeds and Football Against The Enemy as the best book on football ever written -?in which I learned that Dynamo Kiev had a nuclear license, there's a crime plotline waiting to happen, 3-0 down in the Champions' League when a mushroom cloud forces?abandonment.?

All the best, sorry for rambling on!?

Colin. ??

-----Original Message----- From: Charlie Williams < cs_will@hotmail.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 9:51 Subject: RARA-AVIS: Re: Perhaps a more relevant suggestion for the sports noir discussion?

I love that film. But isn't it more sports politics than actual sports? Not being picky, just trying to home in on some examples where the actual playing of the game is what it's all about. It's easy to find examples in not noir/HB: Mean Machine, Escape to Victory... Erm, I'll start again. Rocky, Rocky I, Rocky II... Plenty of baseball films too. But curiously few non-US sports, which is where we come back to rugby. Maybe the yanks are just better at doing sports in cinema.

Anyone who really likes soccer should check out Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait. Mesmerising (or spectacularly boring, depending on your taste) and actually quite noirish, in a subtle way.

Charlie

---------- charliewilliams.net

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"

________________________________________________________________________ AOL's new homepage has launched. Take a tour at http://info.aol.co.uk/homepage/ now.