RARA-AVIS: Re: Perhaps a more relevant suggestion for the sports noir discussion?

From: Charlie Williams ( cs_will@hotmail.com)
Date: 22 Feb 2008

I love that film. But isn't it more sports politics than actual sports? Not being picky, just trying to home in on some examples where the actual playing of the game is what it's all about. It's easy to find examples in not noir/HB: Mean Machine, Escape to Victory... Erm, I'll start again. Rocky, Rocky I, Rocky II... Plenty of baseball films too. But curiously few non-US sports, which is where we come back to rugby. Maybe the yanks are just better at doing sports in cinema.

Anyone who really likes soccer should check out Zidane: A 21st Century Portrait. Mesmerising (or spectacularly boring, depending on your taste) and actually quite noirish, in a subtle way.

Charlie

---------- charliewilliams.net

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Juri Nummelin"