Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: This Sporting Life.... Noir and Class

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 21 Feb 2008

I think that THIS SPORTING LIFE gets the atmosphere it has by not focusing on the popular "wholesome" image of sport, but the political aspect of it and an unscrupulous but callow character driven to win out of an ulterior motive. That's what makes the story noir. Had Harris' character chosen a woman who was not deeply depressed and contemptuous of him; had he seen the big picture in which he fit into the local football team instead of being totally self absorbed and driven by inner desires instead of team spirit, the story would not have been noir. I've recently read Eric Clapton's autobiography and let me tell you about an absurdly noir life. A noir novel based on this guy's life would be very effective. It reminded me throughout reading it of THIS SPORTING LIFE, substituting rock & roll for football, and you have an even more disturbing noir example. Any backdrop can be noir. It's ripping failure from the jaws of success that makes the genre.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now. http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ