Re: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich's "Fright" - 1st vs 3rd person narration

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 21 Feb 2008

I agree at times it does seem that although the narrative of FRIGHT consists mostly of "He then went..." "He thought that..." etc. it does often seem like it is Marshall speaking albeit referring to himself in the third person. The story does occasionally, but not very often, shift into full 1st person mode ("I then...") when Marshall is least in control of what is going on around him thus the most afraid.

I also agree Marshall's choices are less than logical but remember his conscience and his sense of self-preservation are in constant conflict.
  In this context, what seems irrational and even illogical often is the only thing that makes any sense. If you view Marshall in this light he isn't quite as dimwitted as he otherwise may appear. Anyway, just my take on it.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to my question. I now have several more titles on my to read list, and I am quite eager to further educate myself on more recent noir literature.

Best, Harry