Re: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich's "Fright" - 1st vs 3rd person narration

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 20 Feb 2008

In a message dated 2/20/08 2:44:07 PM, DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net writes:

> In recent hardboiled fiction, mostly PI novels, there's a trend to
> incorporate chapters of third person material in a narrative that is
> first person overall.  This is often to report events that the narrator
> did not witness/was not involved in and/or to show the actions of the
> killer, often serial killer, being hunted by the PI.  Block, for
> instance, has used it in at least one recent Scudder (I think he used it
> in the most recent one, too, which I have not yet read).  The recently
> deceased Benjamin Schutz used the technique in his first novel, Embrace
> the Wolf.

T. Jefferson Parker, Robert Crais and Michael Connelly have all utilized the technique in recent years. of the 3, I believe Parker was the first

John Lau

************** Ideas to please picky eaters. Watch video on AOL Living.

( http://living.aol.com/video/how-to-please-your-picky-eater/rachel-campos-duffy/2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)