Re: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich's "Fright" - 1st vs 3rd person narration

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 20 Feb 2008

Mark,

Thanks for info! I guess my tendency to read older material (which got me interested in the genre in the first place) has left me relatively uninformed regarding some of the more recent trends in hardboiled fiction.

With regards to "Fright", the story is being told as a kind of reminiscence by a third person narrator sometime in the future relative to the events of the story. There is no obvious indication of a lack of direct knowledge of events on the part of the narrator when the shift to first person narration occurs. It seems to be primarily a means of heightening the tension when Marshall's perpetual conflict is most acute.

Now, I have yet to finish the book, but so far there is no indication who the narrator is or what their relation to the story might be. If and when this information is divulged, perhaps the reason behind Woolrich's choice to change narrative perspective will become clearer.

Best, Harry

    Quoting DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net: